TORONTO, ONTARIO–(Marketwired – Nov. 9, 2015) – Larry G. Swets, Jr., CEO of Kingsway Financial Services, Inc. (TSX:KFS)(NYSE:KFS) today issued the following letter to shareholders of Kobex Capital Corp. (TSX VENTURE:KXM).
Dear fellow Kobex shareholder:
Over the past several weeks we have had the opportunity to speak with many of you about your investment in Kobex Capital Corp. We want you to know that we have heard your desires for change. We believe that because so many of you have supported us, we are well on our way to seeing the changes that we are seeking implemented. If we have not had the chance to speak, I would like to provide you a chance to have your voice heard. My personal mobile number is 630-290-2432 and if you text me your name, phone number and number of shares held, I will personally give you a call (without proxy advisors!) to discuss our plans and how we believe the business of Kobex should be conducted after the vote on November 17.
To recap our plan, let me outline the few simple steps that we expect will lead to enhanced shareholder value (all subject to the independent board’s business judgement):
1) Reduce Kobex expenses
- Reduction of board fees from $34,000 to $10,000 annually
- Kingsway principals to provide CEO/CFO services for $1 per day
- Eliminate approximately $300,000 annually from excessive spending
2) Establish a liquidity option for Kobex shareholders
- Kobex’s resources can provide shareholders with an option to get $0.65 for a portion of their holdings. Kingsway will NOT participate in Kobex sponsored liquidity option
- Work to increase shareholder communication and understanding of the Net Asset Value (NAV) of Kobex to facilitate better liquidity in the open market
3) Find and execute on investment opportunities
- Propose the establishment of a committee of the board to review all investment proposals
- Work with our established network and advisors to move expeditiously in proposing opportunities to put Kobex’s capital to productive use
- Consider mining and natural resource investments as well as other cash flowing opportunities that could be rewarding given Kobex’s valuable deferred tax asset
4) Increase the trading value of Kobex’s shares
- We believe the activity mentioned above will result in meaningfully improved open market liquidity in the stock at higher prices than under the existing board and management
- Kingsway believes the rights plan (“poison pill”) implemented to protect the existing board should be eliminated, giving other shareholders the ability to purchase shares without the threat of dilution providing more potential demand for Kobex shares
We ask you to vote your BLUE proxy for the change required at Kobex by 9:00 AM (EST) on November 13th and give me a call if you would like to discuss before making that decision. I look forward to connecting with you.
Larry G. Swets, Jr.
As CEO of Kingsway Financial Services, Inc.
Concerned Shareholder of Kobex
It is important you vote your BLUE proxy or voting instruction form by 9:00 am (EST) on Friday, November 13, 2015. Even if you have previously submitted a white proxy or given voting instructions in support of management, you may still change your vote and support Kingsway’s recommendations by completing and submitting a BLUE form of proxy or voting instruction form. If you need help voting or have any questions, please call Kingsway’s proxy solicitation agent Kingsdale Shareholder Services at 1-855-683-3113 (North American Toll Free Number) or 1-416-867-2272 (collect outside North America) or email at [email protected].
Certain statements contained in this press release constitute forward-looking statements. The words “may”, “would”, “could”, “will”, “intend”, “plan”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” and similar expressions as they relate to Kingsway, Kobex, and Kobex’s current or future board or management, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements reflect Kingsway’s current views and intentions with respect to future events and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Many factors could cause actual results, performance or achievements that may be expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements to vary from those described herein should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize. Such factors include, but are not limited to, economic, business and regulatory factors, the implementation of specific initiatives proposed by Kingsway and/or the Kingsway nominees, and other factors that are not within the control of Kingsway. Any such forward-looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Moreover, Kingsway does not assume responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of such forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements included in this press release are made as of the date of this press release and Kingsway undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise forward-looking statements, other than as required by applicable law.
Kingsway Financial Services Inc.
Kingsdale Shareholder Services
Vice President, Communications
Direct: 416.867.2333; Cell: 647.621.2646